Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Stock Standard Stereo to Shaker 500 Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/11, 05:02 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock Standard Stereo to Shaker 500 Upgrade

As the title suggests, we've been piece-by-piece doing the upgrade to the Shaker 500 setup in our Supercharged V6 ever since late last year when we swapped in the premium door panels with the factory subwoofers in them.

So, today, thanks to "dhines" here on the forum, we got our hands on the Shaker head unit, which is just the silver box in the center console area behind the heater controls. I am glad to report the following:
  • It is a direct swap
  • The wiring is plug and play
  • The upper display portion is universal (don't need to swap)
  • If you have the upgraded steering wheel with radio controls, they now function!
  • MP3 no problem (stock radio can't read MP3 format)
  • Everything else works as normal, including RDS display, CD contents, etc.
The last major step now will be to get the factory amps for the front subs, or possibly add an aftermarket sub for them. There is no wiring for the amps it appears, but I didn't dig for long, since I knew I had to go back in later to finish sorting out the T605 Bluetooth so that it will cut the stereo when receiving a call, rather than the way I had it with the stock one where I had to shut off the radio manually.

So, for anyone wanting MP3 capability that has the stock radio setup, this is a simple-swap option that doesn't require a new faceplate or more involved stereo install work.
Old 10/13/11, 10:01 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info.
Old 10/13/11, 11:14 AM
Legacy Tms Member

No problem - don't have any angle on this, just trying to help out others who may have started with a "base" model but want to upgrade cost-effectively as these pieces become more available in the salvage / used world. I know the stock radio was a big step back for me personally from our last car, and when I saw that the dash couldn't be easily modified to accept an aftermarket double-din chassis (Pioneer AVIC or similar) I was upset. Heck, I have our F350 sounding better than the stock Mustang setup. This is a good middle-of-the-road solution that should be able to make at least some people happy. Pair it with some good speakers, and it might be just the ticket.
Old 10/13/11, 01:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, this will be awesome to know for those that have the base package! In the next 2 months my shaker 500 will be available for anyone wanting to buy it and swap out theirs. Im going to break down and get the Metra kit and a doule din screen for mine. I might even sell the steering wheel to as a part of the package and get the boss steering wheel.
Old 10/13/11, 02:26 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Why not make the wheel functional with the new stereo? They offer kits to do that as well, I think it would be a nice touch, although a bit expensive for some of them.

I looked at the Metra kit, but I found their graphics on their buttons a bit lacking, which is something that there is no way to work around. That was my main hold-up on going that route. That, and our CF dash kits won't work with it, so I'd have to have a custom piece made for that as well - not impossible, just more work...
Old 10/13/11, 03:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Why not make the wheel functional with the new stereo? They offer kits to do that as well, I think it would be a nice touch, although a bit expensive for some of them.

I looked at the Metra kit, but I found their graphics on their buttons a bit lacking, which is something that there is no way to work around. That was my main hold-up on going that route. That, and our CF dash kits won't work with it, so I'd have to have a custom piece made for that as well - not impossible, just more work...
The buttons on the Metra Kit are what made me wait this long in the first place. They are horrible! But it looks like the Scosche kit will never come out now. LOL They way I looked at it is this, I would like an Alcantara wheel anyway, and the person buying the Shaker 500 would need a wheel with the buttons so if I made it a package deal everyone gets what they want.
Old 10/13/11, 03:48 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Scosche release = look at the economy... they aren't the only ones in this position, for sure.

On the alcantara, the Shelby wheel is what we have in our car, and it does have the buttons in it, so you get the best of both worlds since it is a Boss type wheel but with controls. We work with Wittmeier Ford (Partscheap) and got it from them if you're interested - just tell Paul I sent you
Old 10/13/11, 10:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting, my '11 Roush has the base system and it is pathetic compared to my '06's system. Might have to look into this.
Old 4/5/12, 03:28 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
As the title suggests, we've been piece-by-piece doing the upgrade to the Shaker 500 setup in our Supercharged V6 ever since late last year when we swapped in the premium door panels with the factory subwoofers in them.

So, today, thanks to "dhines" here on the forum, we got our hands on the Shaker head unit, which is just the silver box in the center console area behind the heater controls. I am glad to report the following:
  • It is a direct swap
  • The wiring is plug and play
  • The upper display portion is universal (don't need to swap)
  • If you have the upgraded steering wheel with radio controls, they now function!
  • MP3 no problem (stock radio can't read MP3 format)
  • Everything else works as normal, including RDS display, CD contents, etc.
The last major step now will be to get the factory amps for the front subs, or possibly add an aftermarket sub for them. There is no wiring for the amps it appears, but I didn't dig for long, since I knew I had to go back in later to finish sorting out the T605 Bluetooth so that it will cut the stereo when receiving a call, rather than the way I had it with the stock one where I had to shut off the radio manually.

So, for anyone wanting MP3 capability that has the stock radio setup, this is a simple-swap option that doesn't require a new faceplate or more involved stereo install work.
I did the swap today and it was quick and easy on my base 2012. They only thing (and it's a problem for me) is that the AUX button doesn't work on my original faceplate or the new Shaker one that I got from the junkyard. Did the satellite kill the AUX in? There is one more open area for a plug for the back of this Shaker that I got. I was assuming it was for Sync.
Any thoughts?
Old 4/5/12, 04:12 PM
GT Member

So let me make sure i understand what you did....you took a base model Mustang , with the cheap plastic wheel, swapped the steering wheel out for one that has the vol/radio controls on it...and made the vol/radio controls work ? And all you did was add the shaker radio from a junk yard car ?
Old 4/5/12, 05:10 PM
Bullitt Member

That what he is saying. I did it and told him how easy it was =D Not the best system but certainly a good bang for the buck especially if you upgrade the front speaker!
Old 4/5/12, 05:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Laroh, The middle plug is for the amps and subwoofers in the doors which we do not have. I am certain any audio shop can easily do the install and use an aftermarket plug and play to the Shaker 500 for the full effect. Better speaker/subwoofers will definitely improve the sound. It is something on my "Do Later List".
Old 4/5/12, 06:17 PM
GT Member

so the wiring harness does have everything needed to make it work. I was told that the wiring harness would have to be changed out ( HUGE JOB) for it to work. I wonder if there is a way to make a after market radio work too? I have replaced all the speakers ( had them , bad back so i can't do to much ) and a sub put into the trunk with a couple amps to help out. I would really like to utilize my Boss installed steering wheel controls. thanks
Old 4/5/12, 10:35 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SterlingStangMan
Laroh, The middle plug is for the amps and subwoofers in the doors which we do not have. I am certain any audio shop can easily do the install and use an aftermarket plug and play to the Shaker 500 for the full effect. Better speaker/subwoofers will definitely improve the sound. It is something on my "Do Later List".
I found a schematic of the Shaker 500 and I think the aux is in that plug. I can email you the diagram if you'd like, Sterling.

Also, I found an eBay seller offering 2009 Sync modules for only $53 at http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-STOCK-FA...a0a47c&vxp=mtr
I may get one just for kicks to see what I can do with the wiring and integrate it with the Shaker without programming the ECM. So, maybe no bluetooth and voice assist, but maybe get the USB to work.
Old 4/6/12, 02:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bud4au01
So let me make sure i understand what you did....you took a base model Mustang , with the cheap plastic wheel, swapped the steering wheel out for one that has the vol/radio controls on it...and made the vol/radio controls work ? And all you did was add the shaker radio from a junk yard car ?
To put icing on the cake, after I installed the satellite antenna that I got off of Amazon for $10, my Shaker 500 from the junkyard already has a paid account, so I will not be needing to pony up cash for that.

Saaaw-weet!
Old 4/6/12, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

My 2010 base radio reads MP3s off discs just fine.
Old 4/7/12, 07:17 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
does the shaker 500 radio hold multiple discs? does it have a built in cd changer or is it a single disc radio like the base radio?
Old 4/7/12, 07:59 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by amplifier28
does the shaker 500 radio hold multiple discs? does it have a built in cd changer or is it a single disc radio like the base radio?
It comes as a 6cd or single. I have the single cd and rarely use it.
Old 4/9/12, 12:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey Laroh,
Yes, send the wiring diagram to my e-mail. So your Shaker only has a single CD? Guess I got lucky, mine is a 6 pack.
Bud,
Yes, everything is plug and play with the Shaker upgrade. Can't confirm an aftermarket would work the buttons, check Crutchfield, I think the adapters are specific to the brand head unit. It was like $100 just for the adapter but if you are a diehard audiophile, spend the money. If you are like me (on a budget) you will be hard pressed to beat the value.
Old 4/29/12, 10:41 PM
GT Member

So I have a 2010 base v6 model. And an looking to upgrade to something like this..will this work if I just switch out the radio unit with the shaker and add a steering wheel with the functions?

Quick Reply: Stock Standard Stereo to Shaker 500 Upgrade