05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

How to Custom Paint Interior / Under Hood

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/11, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Custom Paint Interior / Under Hood

Hi there,
I have a 06 Black Mustang GT with black and red interior. I just came back from Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach and seeing all those Stangs has made me want to customize my car REAL bad lol. A lot of cars had different components of their engine and interior painted to match their car's colors. I was just wondering if someone could tell me the pieces of my car that are "easily" customizable? Like which parts could I paint myself to give it a unique look? I've seen a few cars around these forums and they look great!

I was also wondering how you went about painting them. What kind of paint, how hard the process was etc? Any tips would be great! Thanks!
Old 7/26/11, 05:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Custom painting interior and engine bay stuff is actually pretty easy, just a little imtimidating the first time.

If you want to use the same color as your exterior, Dupli Color makes most and can be bought at your local auto store. Dupli Color also has a brake caliper paint kit, uses a paint brush so you can easily do it. In the engine bay the temperature can get quite high, Ive used regular rattle can paint and then used high temp clear coat with no problems in some areas. Dupli Color also has a good selection of high temp colors.

As for how to do it, I just sand the piece with 400 grit sand paper, optional adhesion promoter, thin then medium layers of paint, correct anything with 1600 sand paper, then clearcoat it. Make sure to let it dry, the longer the better.
Old 8/2/11, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Planeswalker
Custom painting interior and engine bay stuff is actually pretty easy, just a little imtimidating the first time.

If you want to use the same color as your exterior, Dupli Color makes most and can be bought at your local auto store. Dupli Color also has a brake caliper paint kit, uses a paint brush so you can easily do it. In the engine bay the temperature can get quite high, Ive used regular rattle can paint and then used high temp clear coat with no problems in some areas. Dupli Color also has a good selection of high temp colors.

As for how to do it, I just sand the piece with 400 grit sand paper, optional adhesion promoter, thin then medium layers of paint, correct anything with 1600 sand paper, then clearcoat it. Make sure to let it dry, the longer the better.
Would you go Adhesion Promoter + Primer + Base Coat? Or skip the primer with a Promoter?
Old 8/3/11, 04:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ive done it every way...and no problems either way. The main things is cleaning it perfectly. I mainly use primer to make sure the paint color turns out right.

Did this recently with my '06, was just messing around and did this with almost no prep, so it can only look better.
Attached Thumbnails How to Custom Paint Interior / Under Hood-rsz_img_0067_-_copy.jpg  
Old 8/8/11, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Planeswalker
Ive done it every way...and no problems either way. The main things is cleaning it perfectly. I mainly use primer to make sure the paint color turns out right.

Did this recently with my '06, was just messing around and did this with almost no prep, so it can only look better.
thats looks really cool. ive painted my chin spoiler with rattle cans and i used bulldog adhesion promoter, its also a primer. makes paint stick good to plastic. i would think it would be good for anything plastic. heres a pic of the can, the texture and trim paint are what i used on the spoiler. ive been temped to paint the centers of my int door panels
Attached Thumbnails How to Custom Paint Interior / Under Hood-dscf1799.jpg  
Old 8/8/11, 06:35 PM

The secret is good prep and cleaning. I used an adhsion promoter, black metalic base coat and a metal clearcoat on all the plastic parts.(shaker engine cover, rad cover, fuse cover, coolant tank top, brake and PS tank tops, CAI inlet tube.
Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails How to Custom Paint Interior / Under Hood-final-2011-look-009.jpg