05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

LED Ambient Footwell Lighting...

Old 11/4/09, 12:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i found the diy i used.
http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/footwellLights.htm

i don't remember the exact LED rope i used, but here is an example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-6-Feet-Flexibl...item414a3f3228

by using rope LEDs, you get a much more even distribution of light imo.
Old 11/4/09, 07:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WuTimeUT
So I know I'm brining up an old thread here but I have a question about the actual light pods. How big are they? 4 LED 10 LEDs? and is it a circular pod or a strip? I see that Optx makes several different kinds.
It's an oval shaped pod that fits perfectly underneath the dash on the factory location mounting tabs if your vehicle is so equipped on 08-09 models. It has 6 led's in it. It's about the size of a silver dollar.
Old 11/4/09, 02:03 PM
Cobra Member

Since mine is an 06 it won't have the factory brackets. But where roughly are these brackets mounted? I got a good deal on a set of 9 LED strips that I think will work fine.
Old 11/4/09, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

https://themustangsource.com/attachm...2&d=1193261931
Old 11/4/09, 03:16 PM
Cobra Member

o man thanks!
Old 11/4/09, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by watchdevil
It's an oval shaped pod that fits perfectly underneath the dash on the factory location mounting tabs if your vehicle is so equipped on 08-09 models. It has 6 led's in it. It's about the size of a silver dollar.
Some job 2 07's have it too. I do on my 07. (added factory ambient lighting that I got on ebay from a wrecked 08. Also the bottom part of my center console was the same as the 08
Old 11/4/09, 09:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

That PDF show the Ford accessory ambient lighting kit installation. It uses long horizontal LED tubes under the dash. The underdash lights are different than factory but I used the locations in this PDF for the cupholder and console compartment LED's. I also used the factory locations on the back sides of the console for the rear footwell LED lighting.

If you have the factory LED mounting tabs, they are mounted centered under each side of the dash.

2010 models relocate the LED's to either side of the console underneath the dash and the lights point outward from the console towards the kick panels.

I also added map pocket LED's. I simply taped them to the inside forward edge of the map pockets with velcro strips and tapped power off the wires for the lighting of the window switches.

Map pocket lights now come with the 2010 models. They sit flush with the front inside of the map pocket just down from the door pull handle. If I ever decide to take my door panels off, I may relocate my map pocket lights in drilled holes and push them through the back of the holes like I did the back of the center console.

The other day I went a step further and put one LED under each front seat. It gives it a glow that emerges from under the outer sides of the front seats.

I have thought about putting blue LED's in each air conditioning vent.. But I dunno.

My 1984 Thunderbird is going to get the same ambient lighting treatment as soon as I finish up restoring the interior. I have already replaced the dash lights of the Tbird with blue LED's and it looks fab!

Last edited by watchdevil; 11/4/09 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11/4/09, 09:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I just realized that all the pictures I posted in the beginning of this thread are lost. Here they are again...

LED pod mounted on factory bracket under driver's side of dash. Just peel and stick to mount. These fit perfectly there.

Factory location for LED's at the rear of the console to illuminate rear footwells. On '08 cars with no factory ambient lighting, the console is marked with semi-circles on the back side to locate the factory lights. I used this as a guide to drill my holes.

Recommended cupholder location as outlined in the accessory kit PDF file.

Here again are the recommended locations as outlined in the accessory PDF. The back of the cupholder and next to the power outlet inside the console compartment.
Old 11/4/09, 09:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Passenger side with the LED pod installed on the factory supplied tab.

The resulting illumination. It's all tied into the wire that supplies the light for the auto trans selector indicator. It dims with the dash light dimmer and comes on with the remote un-lock with the rest of the dash lights.

Map pocket lights. Taped to the front inside edge with soft velcro strips. The wiring is tapped into the power window switch illumination. Only drawback is they stay on all the time like the window and door lock switches do when the key is in the on position. I did not feel like running all new wire to the doors.
Old 11/7/09, 01:30 PM

Do you have the map pocket LEDs mounted on the "floor"/bottom of the pocket, or higher up? I had noticed your posts about this mod before the crash and put a 5mm LED in the map pocket when I installed my SHR window switch plates. I mounted mine on the bottom of the pocket in the center (I initially had issues getting it to point straight back to illuminate the back wall of the pocket). They look pretty good, although it seems like yours lights up the entire pocket more, that's why I thought maybe yours was mounted higher up.

Here is a pic of mine lit up:

And the best I could do to see how I have the LED mounted:

And all the lights on:

Old 11/8/09, 10:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Esch
Do you have the map pocket LEDs mounted on the "floor"/bottom of the pocket, or higher up? I had noticed your posts about this mod before the crash and put a 5mm LED in the map pocket when I installed my SHR window switch plates. I mounted mine on the bottom of the pocket in the center (I initially had issues getting it to point straight back to illuminate the back wall of the pocket). They look pretty good, although it seems like yours lights up the entire pocket more, that's why I thought maybe yours was mounted higher up.

Here is a pic of mine lit up:

Yours appears to be lit up as good as mine with even some light coming up through the door pull grip onto the upper door panel cove.

I experimented with location to cast the best light. I mounted mine towards the front inside edge of the pocket but not all the way down. That got more light up to the bottom of the door armrest. single LED's act more like spotlights. Anyway, once I got a good position I just used a square of soft-side velcro to tape it in place. This is all these map pockets are good for and nothing else!

I definiely need to change out those dome light bulbs to blue! Looks much better!
Old 11/8/09, 01:29 PM
Cobra Member

alright two things....

How did you get inside the rear part of the console to place the rear footwell LEDs. I can't seem to figure it out and I don't see it in the PDF.

Also, ESCH, Your interior seems to be well lit even around the steering wheel and on the seats. Did you put LEDs anywhere else to get that much light?
Old 11/8/09, 02:05 PM

Also, ESCH, Your interior seems to be well lit even around the steering wheel and on the seats. Did you put LEDs anywhere else to get that much light?
I put blue LEDs in the map light area. Here is a thread on how to replace them. http://mustangforums.com/forum/s197-...leds-pics.html

I got the 12-LED bulbs (921-x12, miniature wedge base) from superbrightleds.com. Here is the link to their store page for them. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ct=CAR#921-x12

That's how I'm getting all that blue light from above... hope that helps.
Old 11/8/09, 08:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

alright two things....

How did you get inside the rear part of the console to place the rear footwell LEDs. I can't seem to figure it out and I don't see it in the PDF.

ESCH has blue LED lighting in the map lights.

Take the top part of the console off just like the PDF. All it takes to remove the lower section is two 7mm screws at the front of the console below the radio/climate control trimplate and two 10mm nuts at the bottom of the console compartment which are visible when you lift up the console compartment carpet liner. The whole thing lifts out easily. Less than five minutes to take the entire console out for me.
Old 11/16/09, 09:21 AM
GT Member

I bought the 2008 OEM parts and did the install as if it was stock. I am SO pleased. I used voltage from the unused auto trans light connector (I have a manual) and the negative from the power port in the console container (so they would turn off with the key. I had to make my own connections for the back two lights (cut off the female connector. Looks just like stock.
Old 11/17/09, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NickDC123
I bought the 2008 OEM parts and did the install as if it was stock. I am SO pleased. I used voltage from the unused auto trans light connector (I have a manual) and the negative from the power port in the console container (so they would turn off with the key. I had to make my own connections for the back two lights (cut off the female connector. Looks just like stock.
I bought a factory Ford ambient lighting kit off ebay ,will be installing it in the near future. I like the idea of having the 6 color setting features.
Old 5/16/10, 10:21 AM

After driving a 2010 rental with ambient lighting I decided to take on the project for my 2007 SGT. This forum was a big help getting started. Here's my forum thread from Shelby Autos http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...for-footwells/ that describes my experiences, install methods and hardware choices. Also, attached to the forum is my wiring diagram that allows for combined ambient and courtesy light install. Hopefully, you will find it useful. Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 5/17/10, 12:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

For some reason after several months, my map pocket LED's burn out and I have to replace them. Currently I have them wired to my power window switch illumination circuit. I thought LED's are supposed to last forever. One of these days, I need to run wire into the doors so they will only come on with the headlight switch.

About the cup holder light... Yes it will bother you while driving because it is high up in the back of the cupholder. However I have since added a satin aluminum cupholder insert and it blocks the direct beams of light. I don't mind the stray beams of light reflecting off the shift handle though. It gives off a nice glow.

A new option for cupholders are those adhesive backed LED light strips that have a black strip. I woud still rather have the factory style lighted cup holder rings but for me it's not worth the cost.

Now if I could just get brave enough to replace all the slime green illunimation backlighting with blue. I hate the green mixed with with the blue MyColor gauge lighting and my LED ambient lighting.

Speaking of ambient lighting, on the 1984 Tbird I am restoring I considered blue LED's for everything. After I tried a set of blue LED's in the 95 Mustang gauge cluster (I did a Mustang dash swap for this Tbird), the LED's lit up unevenly in some spots and showed bright spots in other places. I scrapped the idea of using LED's in favor of blue incadescent bulbs...

So what did I do? I created old school ambient lighting by installing 194 side marker bulb sockets under the dash and used blue colored bulbs which really give off a green-blue light. I wired it into the dash illumination circuit and presto... Old school ambient lighting they way it would have existed in the 1980's if they offered it. And the color matches the dash illumination and LED readouts on the dashtop clock, radio and roof console with compass/teperature display.

The rear passenger courtesy lamps will be done the same way as well as soon as I get the interior back together.

Okay back to Mustangs...
Old 5/17/10, 12:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by flamin ponyexpress
I bought a factory Ford ambient lighting kit off ebay ,will be installing it in the near future. I like the idea of having the 6 color setting features.
I never change my color settings on My Color. However I was able to mix the gauges into the Ice Blue like the 2010 uses, but I hate that I don't have ambient lighting LED's that match. IIRC, I think I read somewhere that Ford owns the rights for using the Ice Blue color.
Old 4/28/11, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Esch

I put blue LEDs in the map light area. Here is a thread on how to replace them. http://mustangforums.com/forum/s197-...leds-pics.html

I got the 12-LED bulbs (921-x12, miniature wedge base) from superbrightleds.com. Here is the link to their store page for them. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ct=CAR#921-x12

That's how I'm getting all that blue light from above... hope that helps.
Do you know where I could get these type of lights in red??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED Ambient Footwell Lighting...