GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information
View Poll Results: TrueTrac Poll for owners of 2005-2008 4.6 liter V-8s:
Has your TrueTrac continually worked well in your GT that has stock horsepower?
14.29%
Has your TrueTrac continually worked well in your GT that has increased horsepower?
64.29%
Has your TrueTrac broken in your GT that has stock horsepower?
14.29%
Has your TrueTrac broken in your GT that has increased horsepower?
7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

TrueTrac Poll

Old 3/9/08, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TrueTrac Poll

I have a new 2008 GT on order, and am contemplating changing to the Detroit TrueTrac. Are you happy with the TrueTrac, or would you have kept the original equipment limited slip?

Last edited by Gearhead; 3/9/08 at 01:16 PM. Reason: remove repeated poll information
Old 3/9/08, 02:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like I am 2nd to vote. While I have increased my HP quite a bit from stock I am now where near the guys with superchargers. But so far I have no complaints with the stocker!
Scott
Old 3/9/08, 02:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problems with mine, unless you count having to buy 2 rears tires at a time now
Old 3/9/08, 08:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

No real problems with the stock unit. Give it a shot, and if you don't like it go for the TruTrac. I hate when people buy a new car and have "upgraded" parts installed or ordered before they even get the car. How do you know you won't like what comes with the car until you have it and drive it? Maybe the stock unit is just peachy for you. Try it first, then upgrade if you don't like it.
Old 3/10/08, 06:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
I hate when people buy a new car and have "upgraded" parts installed or ordered before they even get the car.
lol upgraded parts are good things. Its good to have parts you won't have to upgrade later.
That being said what are your plans for the car later. S/c or maybe a turbo?? Even if you don't plan on adding upgrades later you know you have a good rear end in there. Not saying the stocker is a bad piece but I think the upgrade is better
Old 3/10/08, 06:11 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

The stock unit will be fine unless you go to the drag strip all the time
Old 3/10/08, 06:36 AM

I love my truetrac.
Old 3/10/08, 07:05 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Like I mentioned earlier, the issue was with 2-pinion TrueTracs but the customer service was so poor that I am not about to spend another $300 to try out their 3 pinion design.

The genuine Torsen T-2 has been proven on the track for years so I am confused as to why TracTech couldn't get it right.

If you are set on buying a Torsen/Torque-biasing differential, consider a genuine Torsen T-2 or the FRPP Torsen. It's more expensive than the TrueTrac but it won't fail on you. The One Lap of America Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (built and engineered by Ford Motor Company for their Ford team) used a Torsen and had over 500 hp from a Whippled 4.6L 4V V8. The Torsen withstood everything they dished out.
Old 3/10/08, 11:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
lol upgraded parts are good things. Its good to have parts you won't have to upgrade later.
That being said what are your plans for the car later. S/c or maybe a turbo?? Even if you don't plan on adding upgrades later you know you have a good rear end in there. Not saying the stocker is a bad piece but I think the upgrade is better
My plans for the GT are for use as my daily driver. I have no plans for any power upgrades (see list below). We sometimes encounter snow up here, and always tons of rain. I have been most impressed with its behavior on our 2006 V6. The advantage it offers for better cornering force, when compared to a limited slip, is its best feature. It allows the rear end to behave as an open spider gear set, giving you maximum cornering force at the rear axle, because the rear wheels are not being forced to scrub around a corner at the same rate of speed by a limited slip. Actually, with the Eibach springs and anti-sways, I have the V6 giving us neutral handling around corners. With the TrueTrac on the GT, I will be able to get that as well.
I appreciate knowing that the units installed in V8 powered Mustangs seems to be working well.
Old 3/11/08, 05:25 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
For a daily driver that sees action in the snow, I'd go with the stock viscous coupling limited slip differential.
Old 3/11/08, 05:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I think the stocker does fine in wet environments.
Old 3/11/08, 09:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gearhead
My plans for the GT are for use as my daily driver. I have no plans for any power upgrades (see list below). We sometimes encounter snow up here, and always tons of rain. I have been most impressed with its behavior on our 2006 V6. The advantage it offers for better cornering force, when compared to a limited slip, is its best feature. It allows the rear end to behave as an open spider gear set, giving you maximum cornering force at the rear axle, because the rear wheels are not being forced to scrub around a corner at the same rate of speed by a limited slip. Actually, with the Eibach springs and anti-sways, I have the V6 giving us neutral handling around corners. With the TrueTrac on the GT, I will be able to get that as well.
I appreciate knowing that the units installed in V8 powered Mustangs seems to be working well.
You really should think about keeping the stock unit if you have snow and rain. One thing we found that works great is to replace the stock "S" spring in the Ford unit with one from a GM 10 bolt truck rear end. Had one in my old '98 GT and it worked great.
Old 3/11/08, 06:53 PM

I had the Tru-Trac and had nothing but problems from the get go, I have now switched back to the stock carrier with 4:10 gears and no problems should of went this route in the begining. The only other change I would make (should of made at time of change) to my current set up is replace stock clutch pack with the carbon fiber clutch pack. Just my 2cents.